If you could change one thing about your past, would you?
Thursday, January 19, 2012
The queen of what??
It is of no surprise to people that know me when I say I am a news junkie. I live and breathe the news. The first thing I do in the morning when I get out of bed is turn on the t.v. and listen to the news as I go about my morning. When I get home in the evenings I turn on the TV as I walk in the door; and again it is the last thing I do before going to bed. I take time to scan the internet for news to read during my day. In doing this, I am subject to many different kinds of news; some worthy of repeating and some not. If this news is worthy to me, I sometimes talk about it at my work to get the opinions of others. I usually do a follow up by checking other parts of this news out before it finds its way to this page.
Today, this news hits home with me. It is about a certain Diva that has been called the “Queen of Southern Fried Cooking.” It is also about Type 2 Diabetes, which I have had the not so wonderful pleasure of knowing for close to 5 years now. She says the rumors are true, that she has had this for 3 years now. The reason that she didn’t come forward with the news before now is not because she was afraid of fallen ratings for her show, but the fact that she has learned enough that she can share her wisdom on this disease.
She seems to think that you don’t get type 2 by eating wrong. You only get it by getting old. She also thinks that she can keep eating the way she has been, just in moderation. I have one very big problem with her idea of eating. When you look at her recipes, the first thing she almost always says is, “with a lil’ butter,” but it really means a pan full of butter. This is not only unhealthy for your diabetes, but your cholesterol. Her books and her show is all about this cooking that she does that is not healthy in the least. There are people out there that eat her foods because they like her. I feel sorry for them because they follow her and now they could be T-2.
But….now she has gone even farther. She has climbed into bed with the drug companies. I only wonder if it’s to pan her pocket since she won’t be selling her cooking as much as she once did. I realize that people all have a right to choose what they want to eat, but when it comes to life or death…..I choose healthy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You Rock Lady....ty...Terry
ReplyDeleteOldSarge's First Law of Human Nature:
ReplyDelete"Never - ever! - underestimate the human capacity for really stupid shit."
Nice to see ya steppin' into the blogosphere.....
My problem with this woman isn't the fact that she is famous .... it's what she does with her knowledge of the fact she has this disease. Famous people become famous because of their followers. I feel they have a certain responsibility to them. It's not right to hide the fact that they have an illness while selling something that helped give them the illness.
ReplyDelete